Home maintenance checklist
Owning a home is a rewarding accomplishment. For most of us, it’s our biggest investment which makes maintaining it a must. Performing regular maintenance and wellness checks on your home will help to ensure that it retains or increases in value and continues to be a place that is safe and comfortable for you and your family for years to come! We compiled an incredible checklist of common home maintenance items (most of which you can do on by yourself) to help you keep your home in check and emergency repair services at bay!
Spring / Summer
- Look for missing or damaged shingles, signs of leaking or cracking on your roof.
- Clean debris & leaves out of the downspouts and gutters.
- Check the concrete around your house for cracks and repair with silicone caulk or concrete filler or consider replacing all together.
- Test all of your outside faucets to make sure they function correctly.
- Remove debris, replace filters and clean ducts and vents for your AC unit to keep it running efficiently.
- Check windows & doors – if needed, replace/repair screens and clean the tracts and seals.
- Clean your furnace and AC. If this isn’t something you are comfortable doing, contact a local HVAC technician.
Fall / Winter
- Replace furnace filters.
- Caulk and seal window and door openings
- Clear your down spouts of wet leaves and other debris.
- If you live in an area that experiences freezing temps, be sure to drain garden hoses and blow out irrigation before the 1st winter freeze.
- Check for and fix peeling paint on any external walls of your home.
- Remove your window screens and if you removed storm doors or windows in the spring, now is the time to reinstall them!
- Test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors
Year Round Checklist
- Replace batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Check your fire extinguishers every other month to ensure the needle is in the green zone.
- Clean exhaust fans and vents (bathrooms and dryers).
- If you have an attic, a basement or a crawlspace, check them every few months for signs of moisture.
- Replace the weather strip on your garage door. The seal between the door and the ground should be tight to prevent drafts and keep out small animals.
- Vacuum heat registers/vents and cold air returns quarterly.
- Clean garbage disposals by grinding ice cubes then flush with hot water and baking soda.
- Check any electrical cords from appliances and other devices for frays or exposed wires monthly.
- Clean refrigerator and freezer coils every other month with a coil cleaning brush. This will help it to stay cool and run more efficiently.
Performing regular maintenance on your home is a great way to protect your investment. The items we have provided are not meant to be all inclusive but give you a great place to start! Visit Better Homes & Gardens for more great tips!
Access our print friendly checklist today!
If any of the home repairs and maintenance go beyond your skill level, consider hiring a local professional to help!