How to Transition from an ITIN to A Social Security Number


Download a Printable Version

If you had an ITIN number and your status changed from non-resident to resident alien, you are eligible to apply for a social security number. To secure a social security card, you may need to visit a local office for the Social Security Administration. Call 1-800-772-1213 to find the nearest office.

Here are some documents you may need to provide when applying for a SSN:

  • Passport
  • A I-94 Arrival/Departure Record (white card stabled in passport)
  • ASF Award Letter
  • DS 2019 Sponsor Certificate

Here are three things to remember about applying for a social security number:

  1. Get a receipt as proof that you applied.
  2. You will need a social security number to fill out your future tax returns
  3. The credit history you established with your ITIN number, if any, will need to be transferred to your new Social security number credit history. This will not happen automatically. Find out how to request a transfer from any of the 3 credit bureaus or any office of the IRS.